Wednesday 14 March 2012

Max Factor - Fantasy Fire

I first heard of this nail varnish when one of my Twitter friends sent me a link saying it was only available in the UK. I called every Boots and Superdrug in Liverpool to ask if they had it but I was too late... until Sammy tweeted that she'd found some bottles and I finally got mine. Thanks again to my fellow blogger!

So what makes this polish so special and sought after? I heard it's a Clarins 230 dupe, but can't confirm as I haven't got that one. It's got some of the magic that Nfu.Oh 51 has, minus the flakes, but I can't compare it either.

I will write from my own experience then. This is a sheer, purple base with tiny duochrome particles. I tried it on the naked nail and over a few options before I decided which look I liked best. I ended up going for a-england Elaine as a base. If I had a few spare bottles I'd probably try four or more coats to achieve full opacity, but this bottle is so tiny I don't want to run out!

The name is quite apt, as the red particles have a shimmer which light this product from within. It did remind me of Earth, Wind & Fire's song Fantasy for obvious reasons, but when I described it to my husband I used the words "red, gold and green" and then the song, like the colours, shifted to Karma Chameleon. Now I can't get it out of my head, but that's another story.

Enough with the words, are you ready for some photos? Beware, there are many!

Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
This nail varnish has become flavour of the month on many blogs. Do you think it's worth the hype?

Brand: Max Factor
Name: Fantsay Fire
Type: Duochrome/Shimmer
Colour: Purple
Pantone equivalent: N/A
Make Up Alley rating: 4/5
Potential dupes: Clarins 230 (allegedly!)
Buy it from wherever you can!

It's very hard to find at the moment but I read somewhere that Max Factor are due to release another batch soon, so it might be worth holding off until then.

I used:
1 x OPI Natural Base Coat
2 x a-england Elaine
2 x Max Factor Fantasy Fire
1 x Save The Nail 45 Second Top Coat

Metadata:
Canon EOS 450D - 50 mm - f/1.8 - ISO 400/200 - indoors/outdoors - no flash - sunshine

4 comments:

  1. Juro sobre lo mas sagrado, ejem, la camiseta de San Lorenzo y las fotos de mis gatas, juaj que hasta ahora no habia visto en ningún otro blog fotos tan buenas como las tuyas sobre Fantasy Fire. Capturaste el efecto duocromo de una manera genial, veo verdes, cobres, rojo, obispo! Este esmalte se merece la locura que creo, en hermosisimo, super complejo.
    No me habia dado cuenta que la botellita era tan mínima, hay que cuidarlo como un tesoro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ay, gracias! No sé si es para tanto, eh, que yo he visto muchas fotos buenas :-) Intenté y me di cuenta de que en el auto, camino al trabajo, se lucen los duocromos y me llevé la cámara. Claro está que no voy manejando yo! Es mini mini... lamentablemente!

      Delete
  2. Es algo diferente, no? No sé cómo quedará sobre una base clarita :-)

    ReplyDelete